Floating wind power + wave energy + hydrogen energy + oil and gas power supply mode for offshore oil and gas platforms

2020-09-16 10:41:41 en-admin 33

The French energy giant Dalta launched a research project to explore the comprehensive utilization of floating offshore wind power, wave energy, hydrogen energy and other energy forms to power offshore oil and gas platforms.


The project is called "O/G Decarb Innovation Project". In addition to Dalta, participating companies or institutions include Danish Ocean Energy Company Floating Power Plant A/S, Danish Hydrocarbon Research and Technology Center, and the world's largest wind energy public research center Denmark DTU Wind Energy, Hydrogen Valley, a hydrogen energy research institute, Danish Natural Gas Technology Center, etc. The project is supported by the European Regional Development Fund.

The person in charge of Dalta said: "We think this is an exciting project because it can completely solve the problem of using renewable energy near the oil and gas platform to power the oil and gas platform."

As early as two years ago, Equinor (Norwegian Statoil), the same energy giant as Dalta, started to develop the world's first project to use offshore wind power to power offshore oil and gas platforms, namely Hywind Tampen. The project uses the Hywind floating design developed by Equinor. The 88MW (11 units of 8MW) wind farm will power five nearby oil and gas platforms. However, due to the unstable output of wind power, the wind farm can only supply 35% of the platform's electricity demand, and the remaining still  65%.

But this "O/G Decarb" is different, taking full account of the complementarity of various renewable energy and resources:


First, the use of two types of energy, offshore wind power and wave energy, greatly compensates for the instability of a single energy source;

Secondly, in order to meet the power supply of the platform at all times, the installed capacity of offshore wind power and wave energy is relatively large, and the power generation is often greater than the electricity consumption. Therefore, an electrolytic cell is installed on the platform to exceed the offshore wind power and wave energy. Of the electricity is used to electrolyze water to produce hydrogen;

Third, hydrogen is mixed into the natural gas produced on the platform at a ratio of 15%, and transported using the same casing network, saving the cost of a new pipeline network. How to safely and reliably transport the mixed gas of natural gas and hydrogen is also a research content.

The project is expected to be officially launched at the end of this year.

Source from: European Offshore Wind Power Official Account

If there is any infringement, please contact us, we will deal with it as soon as possible